Westfield State University to welcome nearly 1,400 new students to its campus community on Sunday, Sept. 2
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 30, 2018
CONTACT: Troy Watkins, email@example.com, 413.572.5523
MEDIA ADVISORY & PHOTO OPPORTUNITY
WHAT: Move-in Day for First-year and Transfer Students
Students new to Westfield State and their families will arrive on campus to move students into their residence halls on Sunday, Sept. 2. From Sunday to Tuesday, a number of welcome activities, events and programs are designed to make for students’ smooth transition to college life and to help connect the University’s newest community members with their peers, student leaders, faculty and staff.
The Class of 2022 will be officially welcomed to campus by University leaders at the annual First-Year Convocation on Tuesday, September 5 at 4 p.m. Fall 2018 semester classes begin on Wednesday, Sept. 5. First-year and returning student athletes have been on campus for the last two weeks for pre-season schedules and upperclassmen move-in day is set for Monday, Sept. 3.
WHO: Westfield State University Class of 2022
- 1,027 first-year students; 356 transfer students
- Diversity: White 81.4%, Hispanic 9.5%, Afro-American 2.8%, Multiraces 2.3%,
Unknown 1.8%, Asian 1.5%, Other 0.6%
- 55% males / 45% females
- 86% resident students / 14% commuters
- 92% from in-state / 8% from out-of-state
- 51% from Eastern MA / 33% from Western MA / 16% from Central MA
- Top “feeder” towns: Springfield (45 students), Westfield (39), Agawam (32)
- Top intended majors: criminal justice, business management, education & psychology
- 38 Urban Education students matriculated through the Summer Bridge Program
- 63 Honors Program students
WHEN: Sunday, September 2, 2018, beginning at 9 a.m.
WHERE: Westfield State University
577 Western Avenue, Westfield, MA