Greater Westfield Chamber of Commerce

I don’t want the expense of forming a corporation, but I want to use a name for my business. What do I need to do?

If you own a business and operate it under a different name, you are considered a “DBA” which is the abbreviation for “doing business as.” To be in compliance with local regulations, you should file a Business Certificate with the City Clerk’s office. In Westfield, there are additional forms that need to be filed with the Business Certificate, including a Tax Obligation Form from the License Department and a Zoning Permit from the Building Department. More information can be found at the City Clerk’s FAQ website, The Certificate is good for four years.

Last update on January 17, 2011 by Administrator.

Go back

Do you have a question or comment about doing business in Westfield?

Click here to send the Greater Westfield Chamber of Commerce your business questions.

This site is intended to provide information about doing business in the Greater Westfield area.  It is not intended to take the place of consulting an advisor such as an attorney or accountant.  You should not treat the answers on this site as legal, accounting or professional advice.  Such advice can only be properly given by qualified professionals who are fully aware of your particular circumstances.  While we have made efforts to keep the site current, many of the laws, regulations and ordinances referred to change on a regular basis, and so the information provided may not reflect the most current legal developments.