Greater Westfield Chamber of Commerce

How do I operate a pawn shop and obtain a license?

In order to operate a pawn shop in Westfield, you would need to apply for a license. The City Clerk provides the applications, and the City Council makes the decision on whether to grant the license. If a license is granted, the pawnbroker must provide the City with a bond in the amount of $300. The portion of the Westfield Code which deals with pawnbrokers, Sections 9-211 through 9-220 can be found here:

If you already have a location in mind for your pawn shop, you should find out in which zoning district the property is located, and confirm that pawn shops are allowed as a use in that district or whether a special permit is needed. Keep in mind that pawnbrokers are heavily regulated, and you should be familiar with the state statutes which apply to pawnbrokers, including Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140, Sections 70 through 85.

I hope this information helps you. You should discuss any specificconcerns that you have with your attorney, accountant or other advisors.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Last update on May 26, 2011 by .

Go back

Do you have a question or comment about doing business in Westfield?

Click here to send the Greater Westfield Chamber of Commerce your business questions.

This site is intended to provide information about doing business in the Greater Westfield area.  It is not intended to take the place of consulting an advisor such as an attorney or accountant.  You should not treat the answers on this site as legal, accounting or professional advice.  Such advice can only be properly given by qualified professionals who are fully aware of your particular circumstances.  While we have made efforts to keep the site current, many of the laws, regulations and ordinances referred to change on a regular basis, and so the information provided may not reflect the most current legal developments.