Greater Westfield Chamber of Commerce

Do I need a taxpayer identification number for my business?

Unless you are a sole proprietor without employees, generally the answer to this question is yes. To obtain a taxpayer identification number (also referred to as an employer identification number), complete the IRS application online at:,,id=102767,00.html?portlet=4. You will receive the number online upon completion of the application.

Last update on January 17, 2011 by Administrator.

Go back

Do you have a question or comment about doing business in Westfield?

Click here to send the Greater Westfield Chamber of Commerce your business questions.

This site is intended to provide information about doing business in the Greater Westfield area.  It is not intended to take the place of consulting an advisor such as an attorney or accountant.  You should not treat the answers on this site as legal, accounting or professional advice.  Such advice can only be properly given by qualified professionals who are fully aware of your particular circumstances.  While we have made efforts to keep the site current, many of the laws, regulations and ordinances referred to change on a regular basis, and so the information provided may not reflect the most current legal developments.